Monday 14 May 2007

Refugi d'Ull de Ter - Vall de Nuria

I was young. I was in the last half of teenage period. With no much equipment but full of enthusiasm. We were four people. Three young boys and a priest.

I have never been very keen on priests and church matters but there are priests and priests.
That one, in our hiking, was more a friend and a path-lover than a priest.
I had met him during my secondary school. He was in charge of our “religion” course. I do not remember him as having tried to fill our souls with celestial literature. Actually, I do not remember anything about his course because I think it was more related to a way of living that religion orientated.

After my secondary school I did not saw him anymore until these hiking. In fact, he was one of my friends’ parents’ friend that once organised a hiking trekking in the Oriental Pyrenees for a week.

They were three and wondered if I would like to go with them. I much more appreciated their proposition as I knew they were kindly trying to allow me to have some holidays.
At that moment in my life I had not the possibility to spend holidays, no money enough, no equipment, no anything. I borrowed some equipment from friends and I could leave with them.

Years before I had already had two experiences with the same priest while being at the secondary school. He had organised, for the first one, a day excursion to climb a hill, “Els Angels”, near Girona, not far from our village. We had taken the bus till Bordils and from there by foot we had climbed to the place and spend the day there.
The second one took our feet to a roman ruin in the nearby of Figueres. We “climbed” to Sant Pere de Rodes from the village of Vilajuiga. If I remember well we got there by train.

These two excursions or hiking had given me the desire of doing more. I would have liked to join a mountain group, but not having the means I had to forget these young dreams.

Will follow …

No comments: